Saturday, October 2, 2010

Hera Pin and "Lil' Willow" - Cloth Dolls

Here is my very own pocket pin goddess. It's an original design that sits 4 inches tall.

Hera goddess of Love and Marriage, was known for her great beauty, and particularly her beautiful, large eyes. She is linked to her sacred animal, the cow, and also the peacock.
The peacock with its iridescent feathers having "eyes," gave Hera a nurturing watchfulness to cast over her subjects, while the peacock icon symbolizes her luxury, beauty, and immortality.

The goddess Hera,  who ruled over heaven, earth, and every aspect of it's existence, including the seasons and the weather, was a goddess of love and worship...yet the power she possessed was quite intimidating.


My pin doll was quite easy to make. She wears an ornate metal and seed bead crown, made out of a metal pin I had broken and thought to keep for another use.
As a Greek goddess, regally called "the Queen of Heaven,"  Hera, was a powerful woman in her own right and showed it with great tolerance.  
I chose to use as her body, a fabric depicting wild flowers and cool colors, instead of the sheer pale whites that are always used. It's visual contained just right grace I was looking for...spring like and care free. 


I hope you enjoyed my simplified version of the goddess Hera.

This was a little doll made for the day of Samhain. A day and ritual that was altered to what we now know as Halloween.

Sweet and ready to sit on your shelf. I had fun making her, knowing she will be a nice surprise to a fellow doll maker.

 This is the swap doll I received in return from a very talented lady from Leander Texas. It really captures the thinning of the veil which takes places on the day of Samhain

 I'm going to display her for the holiday season so all can see.

Fall swap doll "Lil' Willow"


No comments:

Post a Comment