Wednesday, October 20, 2010

Melania's Face... 3 steps

Here she is in her semi finished state.
Hmmm, I had a bit of a problem while creating Melania's face...I've never thought getting both sides to match up would be a problem.

Well it was.It took me a while but I got it to look passably even.

Her right ear wasn't narrow enough at the bottom so I added on an earring base.
I found the best way to apply the dolls features is in a three step method.











First. Apply a thin layer of clay over the gesso, leaving a  third of the head at the top without covering, this part will hold her sewn in hair

Second. As the base clay partly dries, you can begin molding one side of the face with the fresh clay. Start with the mouth and nose, make sure they are centered within the placement of the ears, then add on one eye and an ear. Make sure to blend in the edges onto the semi dry clay with a damp finger, or use a toothpick for those tight areas. Set aside to set up for 10 to 15 minutes.
The texture will be a bit rough and gritty, but as the clay continues to dry, you can gently tap it smooth with your finger (or toothpick), reshape and add on any more details before it's fully dry.

Third. Once the first side of the head is dry, the opposite side can be worked on. I noticed after stuffing the head, that my doll's ears came out to be a little odd, but mistakes can create additional detail.  I adjusted my doll's look by making an ear clasp which can later hold an earring.

These steps are simple and can be applied on all areas while creating your paper clay doll. True, the process can be a bit slow, but the doll's final symmetry will be worth it...lol

No comments:

Post a Comment