Tuesday, October 5, 2010

Serena, my green Mermaid - Cloth Doll

This is my first mermaid, an 11 inch doll using a simple beginners pattern for the torso and adding on my own tail.
I was able to match up the separate parts at the waist with bits of shiny sequin to cover the seam.



At first, I wanted her skin to be an aqua blue, notice that it didn't happen quite the way I would have liked.  After a couple of dye jobs what I kept getting was a simple green, so green she would have to be...lol



To create her long locks of hair, I rolled multiple strips of  loose mohair. I kept adding hair gel to help it keep it's shape, and once that was all dry, I lightly glue the strands into place.

Once the hair was styled, I fasten the strands into place by sewing on the seed beads that decorate her necklace and tail.













Creating an elaborate stand for her would have take away from the doll herself.

Using sand, glue, a bit of copper glitter, some rocks and glass pebbles I was able to decorate a piece of colored styrofoam and put together a sandy base background with flowing coral colored seaweed.

2 comments:

  1. She is VERY lovely. She reminds me a little of Cher!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know what you mean...lol I could see Cher doing a mermaid suit like this. Thank you for the comment and come on back soon.

    ReplyDelete